Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Zwingel Illustrated Bible History Timeline (Pictures of Artwork Included)




Recently, I was graciously given a box of Bible history maps by a parishioner's friend whose husband had been an Sunday School Superintendent for many years.

One of the maps was not actually a map at all. It was an illustrated Bible History Timeline. Or perhaps you would call it an Illustrated Biblical Chronology. Either way, it is an incredibly interesting and well done piece of educational art. The piece was made by Rev. Rudolph P. Zwingel, a Missouri Synod pastor whom I do not yet know much about.


The drawing is one continuous piece on a roll of paper approximately 13 feet long, which covers the main stream of Old and New Testament History. Even though by necessity it is below divided into 11 pictures, one can see that Pr. Zwingel not only was trained in and experienced in teaching classic Lutheran Bible History, but also had a keen artistic sense that allows this timeline to both faithfully cover the major events of salvation history and draw the eye along the timeline with the depictions of the interwoven events.

To stay up to date on further information, pictures, and resources connected with this timeline, as well as other Treasures, follow Lutheran Treasures of the Old Missouri Synod by liking our Facebook page here.

Need to Get Look At Level: 10/10

Seriously, why wouldn't you? It's a joy to look at even if you've been teaching these stories for decades. I might have a few quibbles concerning a few omissions or phraseology, but the work is fascinatingly helpful in reflecting on the grand sweep of our history and the plan of salvation.


For basic, solid resources for studying the Bible and especially teaching Bible History at home, school, or church, see this page: Bible Study Resources.

Pictures

I have two sets of pictures below. (first, the timeline cut into 11 longer sections; second, the timeline again, but in 22 smaller, close up sections; and some extra pictures at the end)

First Set of Pictures (11 pics)













Second Set of Pictures (22 pics)
























And some extras:






14 comments:

  1. Honestly, if this could be reproduced on a long scroll of quality paper, I'd buy copies to post in our school's classrooms. Any thoughts of publishing it? It's magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am looking into a full size laminated version, and perhaps a book version with notes.

      Delete
  2. We have this same thing hanging in the basement in one of my churches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the one at your church a print, copy, something else. I believe the one I have is the original.

      We should talk more to fill in more of the story/information.

      Delete
    2. I would be able to tell you which churches my father served at throughout the years. He was ordained in 1969 and the last church he served was in Estevan, Saskatchewan in/about 1979-1980.

      Delete
  3. Please let us know when and where we could purchase a copy/ies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also interested in obtaining a book or scroll version of this. I wonder if my wife would also be interested in this (she's a pastor at a local Presbyterian church).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, I do hope reproduction will be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. What a treasure. I too would be interested in a reproduction as a gift to my congregation (because as much as I would like to be selfish and keep it in my home - it should be shared with others who could also benefit)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is impressive, and I'd be interested in finding out how to obtain something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello - I am incredibly moved, not only because of the content of this scroll, but Rudolf Zwingel was my father and I remember, as a little girl, watching him create this masterpiece. My father died in a car accident in 1981 and my brothers and I lost the scroll somewhere along the way. This brings tears to my eyes, knowing that it is so incredibly valued and appreciated. Of course, we would love to have a copy of his work, if at all possible. You can contact me at kathy@kathy-patterson.com - Thank you!
    Kathy (Zwingel) Patterson
    Allentown, PA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for displaying my father's work. I have a copy of this scroll but it is quite yellowed. I am trying to scan it and see if I can improve the quality. My father was a draftsman before he became a pastor and I remember the original being on a white almost transparent film. I think it was used to make copies. When dad was a seminary student in Springfield Illinois he would go out to surrounding churches in Illinois and preach on Sundays. I would presume he gave many of these scrolls to the churches that he visited. IF anyone has a copy that is great shape I would love to try to get it reproduced so that my grandchildren,siblings, and members of this blog could also have a copy. Thank you so much.
    David Zwingel
    Rugby, North Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was this ever reprinted? I'd love to use this in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete